The Finnish Fund for Local Cooperation (FLC) is a fund managed by the Embassy of Finland in Nairobi. The FLC is a flexible and demand-based instrument of the Embassy that compliments the development cooperation work carried out through the support of Finland in accordance with Finland’s development policy.
The development policy has given emphasis to human rights based approach to development which underlines the importance of empowerment, inclusion and participation as it strengthens the application of the principles of ownership, accountability and transparency. The human rights based approach to development has its focus on the rights of those who are most vulnerable.
The focus in the use of the FLC is in Kenya where Finland has bi-lateral support, but the funds are also used to finance non-state actor activities in other countries in the region covered by the Embassy (Uganda and Eritrea).
The FLC support activities that focus on:
- strengthening democracy, public participation, accountability, equity, equality and adherence to rule of law.
- enhancing citizen participation in the fight against impunity and developing integrity in leadership by capacity building the citizens to facilitate engagement from a point of knowledge and participation in decision making and the reform process.
- realization of gender equality.
- transparent and fair management of natural resources, inequality and inefficiencies in natural resource access, institutional governance and promotion of participatory management of forests resources.
- transparency and fiscal accountability on agricultural matters, facilitating participation of women and youth resulting in empowerment, non-discrimination and inclusion of vulnerable groups.
The fund supports initiatives of local Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Community-based Organizations (CBOs) and other institutions in Kenya.
The FLC application is open throughout the year and the proposals should be in accordance with the guidelines on the Embassy’s webpage (www.finland.or.ke). Applications should be directed to the Embassy of Finland, P.O. Box 30379 – 00100 Nairobi or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, kindly visit the official Finnish Embassy in Kenya site
For technical support in proposal writing, kindly contact us