Business Names Search and Registration services in Kenya are under the Office of the Attorney General.
The Company Registry under Attorney General requires all applicants to request for a business name here. Currently, it takes one(1) day for the business name search to be processed.
Steps to start business name search:
- Visit: https://ecitizen.go.ke/
- Sign in using you user name and password (ensure that you are registered in the portal)
- Click “Office of the Attorney General” to gain access to business name search and registration section.
Before you perform a name search it is important to note the following,
- The use of Initials are not allowed e.g J.K and Brian Enterprises
- Names with the word “Foundation” must be Limited Ahadi Kenya)
- Names with “Groups” , “projects” and “Holdings” must be limited.(Ahadi group limited)
- Names with “Universities” must be limited. (Ahadi university limited)
- Single words are not accepted (Ahadi)
- Offensive or abusive words are not allowed either. Offensive words in vernacular (mother tongue) are not allowed either.
- Political names e.g (Nairobi youth alliance) are not allowed
- Numerics are not allowed not unless its the current year eg (2015)
- Names starting with the word “Kenya” are only reserved for the government.
- Names with ‘Church’ and ‘Ministry or Ministries’ are not allowed
- Names with “Trust”, “Foundation”, Programmes are not allowed
- The Registrar of Names does not register clubs
- Names with “Relief” are not allowed
- Names with “welfare”, Organization, Association, are not allowed.
Only one name to be submitted per application. applications with more than one name search will be rejected.
Modifying an existing business name is not allowed. eg. Adding Africa, Kenya, East Africa or changing the spelling eg Exotic to Ezotic or Esotic.
Business names will only be processed from Monday to Friday between 8am to 5pm excluding public holidays.
Applications without appropriate passport photos will be rejected.
For queries regarding payment kindly call this number 0708206206.
To Pay your bill (KES. KES 150) via MPESA. Follow the Steps Below. Once you receive a successful reply from Mpesa. Click the complete button bellow.
- Go to M-PESA on your phone
- Select Pay Bill option
- Enter Business no. 206206
- Enter Account no. WQTSDZX
- Enter the Amount. KES 150
- Enter your M-PESA PIN and Send
- You will receive a confirmation SMS from MPESA